Here is a wealth of resources to support your journey with Differentiated Instruction. Have questions? Need more direction or support? Contact me via this website or via Social Networks via @jmccarthyeds: Twitter – Pinterest
- Learning Profile Cards & Quick Surveys
Collect data on students’ self-perceptions about how they learn and interests. These time-saving activities give data that can be used year-round.
- 5 Good Tools to Differentiate Instruction
Based on a learning target, teachers create several different levels of the same assignment. The levels are based on complexity levels that is respectful to each learner–everyone is stretched. Accurately assessing skill levels of students is key.
ASCD Guide – template by DC – Description via RTI
- Think Dots: Overview – Template
Have students explore a learning target from six different perspectives in one activity. Task cards are an alternate version.
- RAFTs: Overview – Differentiated – Template – 3 Articles in One
Teach writing elements through this highly engaging strategy.
- 100+ Social Media Tools to support Learners in Content, Process, & Products from this Edutopia Article.
- ELL Resources
- Additional Strategies
- John McCarthy’s Publication List on Differentiated Instruction
- Formative Assessment Cycle
Effective differentiation begins with know where students are currently in skills and knowledge. The formative cycle is an easy system for being strategic and efficient in meeting students’ needs.
- Students Matter: 3 Steps for Effective Differentiated Instruction via Edutopia
- 6 part series for understanding Differentiated Instruction
Myths – Assessment Fog – Teacher Roles – Readiness – Interests – Learning Profiles
This series on Edutopia breaks down DI into a manageable means to differentiated with greater effectiveness. Explore the ideas and resources included for beginners to get started and advanced users to go deeper into their practice on meeting needs for ALL students.
- Blogs on Opening Paths regarding Differentiated Instruction
There are lots of books on Differentiated Instruction. Not all are created equal. Explore this list of books and videos for deeper understanding of Differentiated Instruction.