Question Formulation Technique: Empowering Student Inquiry
The Question Formulation Technique (QFT) by The Right Question Institute is a strong approach to coaching students on generating appropriate and helpful questions for inquiry and during the Need to Know Process. The steps as explained in “Sharing the Power of the Question” by Dan Rothstein and Luz Santana in ASCD Express are:
- Ask as many questions as you can.
- Do not stop to discuss, critique, or answer any question.
- Write down every question exactly as it is stated.
- Change any statement into a question.
We want to empower students to ask questions that go beyond the surface. The QFT helps students to develop understanding about the kinds of different questions such as open and closed-ended. Also, when are each useful in certain situations for deepening one’s understanding. To develop sustained inquiry that varies in complexity as needed, QFT provides a structure and common language for students and teachers.
Here are additional resources to develop skill with the QFT.
- Teaching Students to Ask Their Own Questions
- Setting Off and Sustaining sparks of Curiosity and Creativity
- Additional resources from The Right Question Institute