(Share this link: http://bit.ly/empowerstudentvoices)
How can we empower student voices to take charge of their learning with & without teacher as authority?
While reading please highlight 3 passages with one of the following marks:
- √ = Affirmation of own ideas or thinking.
- ! = Epiphany – New idea sparked from the passage.
- ? = Question is sparked from the passage.
Say Something Protocol (One reference)
- First volunteer reads one of their selected passages.
- Share why what the passage means to her/him.
- Share implications the passage may or could have for students’ experiences and teacher practice.
- Each person in the group shares what the passage means to them and their practice.
- Everyone gets one opportunity to speak. Afterwords there is no cross-talk.
- Choose a new volunteer and repeat steps 1-2.
- Ways to Empower Student Voices–Now!
- Fostering Student Questions: Strategies for Inquiry-Based Learning
- Ramsey Musallam’s TED Talk on his “3 Rules to Spark Learning”
- Giving Students Charge of How They Learn
- Igniting Student Engagement: A Roadmap for Learning